According to EMPEA’s 1H 2014 industry statistics released last week, private equity (“PE”) fundraising and investment activity for emerging markets (“EM”) were off to a strong start in the first half of 2014. Fund managers raised US$20 billion and invested US$14 billion in 1H 2014, corresponding to a 48% and 28% increase, respectively, compared with the same period in 2013, and on pace to surpass last year’s totals.
The EMPEA Thread in August 2014.
The Thread provides additional analysis of EMPEA's industry statistics, interviews and insight on emerging markets private equity and venture capital, highlighting data trends, notable developments and challenges facing the industry.
Recent news and features on private investing in emerging markets, chosen by the EMPEA Research team:
- Alibaba to Inspire U.S. Listings Among Chinese Internet Companies | Wall Street Journal | 13 August 2014
- India economics: The Modi Effect Asian Venture Capital Journal | 13 August 2014
- China in Africa: how Sam Pa became the middleman | Financial Times | 8 August 2014
- Africa’s High Growth Makes It a Private Equity Target | Institutional Investor | 12 August 2014
- Private Equity in MENA | Growth Gate Capital | August 2014
Scott Mackin is a Managing Partner and Co-President of Denham Capital, where he heads the firm’s Power team. Denham is an energy- and commodities-focused private investment firm with more than US$7.9 billion in invested and committed funds in the oil and gas, power and mining industries. Scott also serves as Chair of EMPEA’s Energy Council.