Data & Intelligence

Sub-Saharan Africa Data Insight (Q1 2017)

Familiar investment trends, as well as new signs of technological change and innovation, characterized Sub-Saharan Africa’s
investment landscape in Q1 2017. Capital invested reached US$314 million, with deals spread across the size spectrum.
Deals over US$100 million accounted for 40% of total number of deals, while the remaining 60% of deals amounted to
less than US$10 million each. This polarization signals that on one hand, infrastructure and buyout private equity firms are
confident the time is right to deploy large amounts of capital, as seen in the US$205 million investment in Alufer Mining.
On the other hand, venture capital firms continue to actively invest. The number of VC deals in Sub-Saharan Africa steadily
climbed from three in 2013 to 20 in 2016 and accounted for 18% of total number of deals in Q1 2017. Fintech companies
in particular are attracting new entrants into the region with their potential to leapfrog traditional financial systems. In its
first deal in Africa, private equity firm TA Associates invested in payments platform Interswitch, suggesting that global GPs
are recognizing the region’s technology opportunities.

EMPEA Memberslog in and click through for your exclusive access to the detailed report and underlying data. 

For additional region-specific data, content and programming, visit the Sub-Saharan Africa regional landing page


Four Column

CEE and CIS

Four Column

Emerging Asia

Four Column

Latin America

Four Column

MENA

Four Column

Sub-Saharan Africa

Four Column

Brazil

Four Column

China

Four Column

India

EMPEA has served as a useful reference platform for CDPQ by helping to define the eligible universe of fund managers in growth markets. Membership provides background data and a...

Rashad Kaldany | Executive Vice-President and Growth Markets, CDPQ

The developed markets have no equivalent to the role EMPEA is playing as a convener and source of trusted information in the emerging markets.

David Rubenstein | Co-Founder and Managing Director, The Carlyle Group