Data & Intelligence
Updates from the Road: Putting the Guidelines to WorkTo respond to and shape the changing currents in the global regulatory landscape, EMPEA is working to introduce the Guidelines as a framework for dialogue with regulators. We continue to explore oppportunities to grow the asset class throuch such dialogue. Morocco, March 2013: In March 2013, the Guidelines served as a starting point for discussion led by the Moroccan PE and VC Association, AMIC, with Moroccan government officials, regulators and local industry stakeholders about potential reforms that could enhance the environment for private equity and help to create a central hub of financial activity for the North and West African region. World Bank Group's Financial and Private Sector Development (FPD) Forum 2012, November 2012: Last November, EMPEA presented the Guidelines to a standing room-only crowd at the World Bank Group's Financial and Private Sector Development (FPD) Forum 2012. With our partners within the Non-Bank Financial Institutions Group, we continue to explore ways integrate the Guidelines and thinking behind them into future World Bank projects and products.
- Effective, clear and flexible corporate and securities laws, with the ability to negotiate rights in capital structures.
- Conformity to international standards of business integrity and anti-corruption.
- Clear, consistent and internationally competitive taxation.
- Reliable and consistent approach to dispute resolution and enforcement.
- Non-discriminatory treatment of cross-border investment.
- Efficient, transparent and fair regulatory environment.
- Transparent and reliable rules for expropriation.
- Stable and fair framework for property rights.
- Flexibility in insolvency proceedings and fairness for stakeholders.
- Ability to contract freely, with minimum prescription by statute.
Additional ResourcesEMPEA Guidelines: A Legal and Regulatory Framework for Global Private Equity EMPEA Professional Development Webcast Join EMPEA’s Legal and Regulatory Council in a public dialogue about the EMPEA Guidelines. Council members provide an in-depth look at how private equity firms, local counsel and other industry advisors can put the Guidelines to work as reference material in their discussions with regulators, policymakers and investors. In addition to addressing audience questions about the Guidelines, this interactive discussion also delves into practical considerations regarding engagement on these issues. Be a part of this public dialogue shaping your industry’s next steps in the development of private equity. Watch Webcast Recording »
EMPEA has served as a useful reference platform for CDPQ by helping to define the eligible universe of fund managers in growth markets. Membership provides background data and a...
Rashad Kaldany | Executive Vice-President and Growth Markets, CDPQ
The developed markets have no equivalent to the role EMPEA is playing as a convener and source of trusted information in the emerging markets.
David Rubenstein | Co-Founder and Managing Director, The Carlyle Group